How to look after your crystal chandelier
Many owners of crystal chandeliers avoid the job of cleaning their prized possession because the thought of taking each crystal down and washing them individually is an arduous task. Here we take a look at the different cleaning options.
In essence, whether you own several antique crystal chandeliers or an inexpensive modern one, the key is to clean little and often with a feather duster. That way, dust particles won’t dull the crystal drops.
How often should you clean your crystal chandelier?
Check when your crystal chandelier was made. Those that were made within the last ten years need less cleaning because they have a coating on them that helps to repel dust. As soon as it starts to lose its sparkle and shine, you will know it is time for a clean.
The drip-dry approach made easy
Use a crystal cleaner or glass cleaner and take the following steps :
• Switch off the ceiling light.
• Remove the lamps and plug the sockets so liquid can’t get into the connections.
• Place a covering on the floor to soak up any excess water.
• Use a generous amount of spray all over the chandelier and allow it to fall off naturally; this will take the dust with it.
• Use a dust mask and make sure the room is well ventilated.
• Allow the light fitting to dry out completely before putting the lamps back in place.
• Wipe the bulbs and switch on. Your chandelier, like the ones at http://roccoborghese.com/crystal-chandeliers/borghesina-classica/, will be sparkling again!
The glove method
- Wear white cotton gloves and use chandelier or glass cleaner. Again, make sure the electricity is switched off.
• Use a step ladder and position it under the light fitting. Place your fingertips in the solution and run along each crystal strand.
The complete removal
In some cases, the only way to clean a chandelier is to wash each drop by hand. It’s worth taking a photograph of the chandelier so each one is put back in the right place. You can even watch a video.
Remove each one and clean in warm soapy water before rinsing in cold water. Dab each one dry and replace. The process will be worth it!
Finally, remember to dust every week and undertake an annual thorough cleaning. Then sit back, relax and enjoy!